View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #138
Flint
Snowflake

Focus

I've been working late, like until 2-4am, on a big migration project that is very high profile that it's 100% my responsibility to sign-off that I have tested every possible function of all systems/interfaces--compiled a list of scenarios, devised a test methodology, work through technical issues, take every variable into account.

This requires a total focus that I can only achieve after normal business hours.

Yesterday, mid-morning, I was on a con call with the vendor, and they wanted me to queue up a new test scenario--a process that takes about 20 minutes and that I've devised a workflow that cannot be deviated from --and can easily be ƒucked up.

Halfway through, a couple of co-workers started up a casual conversation about 10 feet away from my desk. And my brain just stopped. And I realized, it's literally, physically impossible for me to do this task while people--that I can see out of the corner of my eye!--are over-writing my internal dialogue--a repository of variables that must be available on-demand.

And that's why I've been working until 4am --because there's literally no other time that it's possible for me to do this work.

...or...what if...I had an office with a door...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 11-16-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote