View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It might count as a sweepstake. We tend to have a different meaning for that though (paid entry and a small and finite group of winners).

On the website I'm a member of (UK only, sorry) you enter your details and pay no money. There are laws here they have to work around - as I'm sure there must be in the States - re lotteries and gaming and free entry etc.

Even where you have to make a purchase you can always send your details in free in order to enter. So for example a scratchcard which you get when you when you buy a McDonalds - you send them your details and an independent adjudicator scratches one for you. Funny when you think about it, and the odds are so low I doubt many people do it, but it conforms to the letter of the law.

I've entered free comps for everything from a year's supply of fabric softener to a DVD to a spa day. You have to be in it to win it!

Oh, FTR, I always flag the no contact box, unless I am interested in the product. I do only enter competitions I want to win, but there's a difference between wanting free fabric conditioner for a year and wanting emails from them once a week!