Thread: Bacon!....wtf?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #1069
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Iron-Mon.../dp/B0042IWII8

Although Mongolian barbecue first appeared in Taipei in 1951,[6] the stir-frying of meats on a large, open surface is supposed to evoke Mongolian foods and Mongolian traditions. The preparation can also derive from Japanese-style teppanyaki, which was popular in Taiwan at the time. One of the oldest Mongolian Barbecue restaurants (Genghis Khan Mongolian BBQ) was opened in the 1960s, and is located in downtown Taipei, Taiwan.[7] As Mongolian Barbecue became more popular, it was successfully introduced to the West.
American restaurants, such as HuHot Mongolian Grill and BD's Mongolian Grill, claim that soldiers of the Mongol Empire gathered large quantities of meat, prepared them with their swords and cooked them on their upturned shields over a large fire.[8][9] A German restaurant chain with the same concept claims that the Mongolian soldiers cooked their meals on a heated stone.[10]

WIKI
lamb was widely thought to be the meat of choice among Mongolian soldiers, and the dome-shaped skillet is meant to represent the soldier's helmets that they purportedly used to cook their food.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote