Thread: Drunks
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #33
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Joe, thank you. I respect you openness.

As part of my former employment, I had to attend meetings from time to time, and was often embarrassed about it. Although it certainly could have gone in another direction, I'm one of the people who made their peace with alcohol, can have a drink or not, drink for flavor, not for effect. What could I say other than I'm here because I have to be here, but I'm here to support you ... I know the buzzwords, the steps, but have never been a the position of having to work the program (not your program, not my program, the program, as it's said).

I support AA because I have seen it work for people that you would never expect it to work for. Because it gives structure to people who resist structure. And because the concept of a higher power works with the individual being in the middle, between that and ones powerlessness over the addiction, somewhere in that game of pushmepullyou, a kind of homeostasis results for folks that can keep the balance, in sobriety.

Oh, shit. I've had too much coffee and I sound like JBKlyde.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote