Thread: New Bulbs
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

New Bulbs

I’ve recounted several instances in the past where I’ve tried to be a hep cat by leaping into the newest lighting technology. In each case it was very expensive, highly disappointing, and off putting to this stuff.
I remodeled the bathroom in ’84 and the light bar over the mirror holds six bulbs, 5 inches in diameter. Very bright and heat producing but a dimmer tames them. After all, we must maintain a romantic atmosphere in the bathroom, even if we’re restricted to loving ourselves.

Anyway, two of the bulbs have gone to their reward and of course are not available anymore. Alternately cursing and lamenting for a couple years hasn’t helped so when I took a friend to Lowe’s recently because she needed a refrigerator bulb, I bought two Sylvania 60 watt, 120 volt, LAMPE G40 bulbs, the same size. The sign on the shelf said dimmable but nothing on the package.

Well I’ll be damned, they look the same as the old ones, both full on and dimmed. Looking closely I can see the faint orange line of the filament, but a casual user of my bathroom wouldn’t notice. Happy dance, finally something that works.