View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

2/24/2006: Albino fawn

Jacquelita sent along this item, along with an email which has apparently been widely circulated. It reads:

Quote:
Albino Fawn from folks who live on Bolivar Peninsula , Texas

A very eventful day around here... A once in many lifetimes experience!
Mark saw this lil' feller run out in front of a car, thought it was a lost baby goat. Stopped to get it, and WOW. A real Albino Whitetail Deer. Just hours old, but doing fine. No Momma deer around.

Well,, he is "THE" neatest thing any of us ever saw. And only 1 in more than a million are even born. He took his bottle of food, followed us around the house, doing great. So, we called the Zoo & Fossil Rim, who were both interested, but going to send him to a Rehab farm, at a vet that we have never gotten along with... So, one of Dad's best friends is our Game Warden. Kinda reluctantly, I called him and told him the deal. He came right over, of course... and assured me that he wouldn't take it to that vet, that he was going to "go to higher levels" than that with him.. So, he is gone now. We got a chance to see something we probably will never see again but we got a lot of pix, and it was very cool.

Maybe he will make it in captivity somewhere and be appreciated. So rare...

Sure wanted to keep him though but, not the right thing to do and not LEGAL either; But here are a couple of pix to show ya.

He was snow white, pink eyes, ears, nose and hooves. Kids called him POWDER. He was SO small. That is my shoe lying beside him... WOW..how cool is that??

With a cc'd email like that, you have to check some of the details out on the net. Snopes says undetermined, but here's a case where Urban Legends at About.com goes further, documenting an early sighting of the email from June 2005. The About page concludes that it probably did happen but probably not in the given location.

Then I did a Google Image Search for albino deer, and it seems the beasts aren't as rare as it seems.

But they are not to be confused with the Seneca White Deer, below, which is white colored, and not albino. The eyes give it away, I suppose.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote