View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #502
Griff
still says videotape

Does anyone have a thought about the psycho-social impact of a single-payer plan. On one hand a single-payer plan could free up a lot people who right now are afraid to move or start their own businesses because they can't afford to leave their employer based health care. The other side would be that people missuse programs they are not paying for. As it stands now though people are already missusing ERs getting care in a really ineffective way. I'm thinking it would be a net positive for American society to cover everyone. I don't think any abuse of the system will be worse than the present suppression of potential. thoughts?

other issues
When they eventually spell out the actual plan, I wonder if it won't turn into a permanent source of income for insurance companies. The present system is paperwork heavy and seems to defy the concept of insurance, something I've always thought of as a way to spread pain in the face of disaster...