Thread: Bikes!
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 08:09 AM   #101
Griff
still says videotape

Here's the story. I've been hunting for a new XC machine on and off since last fall. I worked in a bike shop during my undergrad years so I know the sales game and I kinda know bikes. Since I worked in a shop, I have had a bias towards using bike shops rather than the internet for bike purchaces. Unfortunately, when I went into my local shop looking for a new ride the sales guy tried to sell me what they had in stock not what they could get. The bike he was pushing was a middle of the line Trek that was set up not for XC but rather for nothing in particular. The riding position was too upright, the top tube was too short and too high, and the components were crap. Having broken my confidence in their shop, I started poking around on the net and found a lot of quality machines for much less money. The bike I got is a last years model KHS Comp ST, which I got for about $200 dollars less than the Trek. Way more bike for way less money. The on-line guys built the bike, set it up, took it partially apart for shipping, and sent it to me no tax or shipping charges. As far as service goes, most XC riders do their own maintenance anyway because its part of the fun and isn't exactly rocket surgery. So now I'm one of those evil on-line purchasers who is killing the old bike selling paramacallit.