View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by King
I'm not saying Liverpool aren't a good team, but being good in Europe and being good in the Premiership are 2 different things; just look at Arsenal last year, poor in the league (by their standards), but got to the Champions League final and could've won. Liverpool are definetly better in Europe than they are domestically; their manager Benitez is more suited to Europe. Their defence isn't that good; they've had big problems with their centre-halves this season, United, Chelsea and Arsenal all have better defences. They're not really 5 years in the making; Benitez has only been there 2 and a half years. I agree that they've bought well (Kuyt, Agger, Garcia), but they've also had some bad signings under Benitez (Reina, Nunez, Josemi, Pellegrino). I think United are more of a complete team, we're only lacking a more consistent goalscorer and a box-to-box midfielder. Liverpool may well do better than United in Europe this year; we're more focused on the Premiership, and our tactics are too cautious in Europe. Lyon are very good, and I think they'll do well in Europe this season, although I'm not sure they're better than United.

First of all, this Liverpool ERA, does not begin with Benitez.
5 Years ago, Liverpool had a serious defencive problem.
The Problem was caused by the way the team was being managed.
At that point, KEY players came to Liverpool, and specific work was done as a team, strategically. The results showed immediatly in the goals against.
From that point and other key purchases pre-Benitez were made, and from then on given to benitez to perfect. I do agree that Liverpool is a tad weaker than last year, but nevertheless, Liverpool remains a great team, and a champions league contender despite specific super powers who seem to have the uper hand like Chelsea and Lyonnais.
The abscence of Italy who will most likely not make a mark this year, despite their general dominance of European football since the econimic changes within Europe.
A swiff mention of Bayern Munich is a must, as they have systematically picked up all the precious diamonds within Germany.

Quote:
Out of interest, what leagues do you watch W.HI.P, and who do you support
I used to watch all European leagues very close up, but my close examination of the NFL(American Football) has me at a distance of the weaker leagues.

Overall, I support Lazio and Lyon!

I've supported Werder bremen since the 80's.
The good, bad, and unbelievably amazing, I've been a fan of Chelsea.
I'm a supporter of the one and only full-Basque franchise in Spain. (Bilbao)
In other leagues, I may have more than one team I support, like hibs and Aberdeen in Scotland and so on.
Exchange with me yours if you may.