Thread: discipline
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 04:30 PM   #22
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

My sister and I were never spanked. Instead, my dad managed to find a means of discipline that inspired fear and awe in most of the neighborhood children without landing him a child abuse lawsuit.

He'd lecture us at length. Early on it was sort of intolerable, because I'd have to stand around and switch from foot to foot to keep my legs from getting sore. It became a joke after a while, though; "will your dad lecture me if I don't take my shoes off before walking across this carpet?" Over the years he became more laid back, or something to that effect, and the lectures became shorter and more interesting. Now we regard him as a fount of useful and often obscure knowledge, such as the tax information we need to file our FAFSAs.

I suppose spanking would work in place, but I think the end result would be different. I can easily see myself resenting somebody who forced me to respect their strength and ability to cause pain. Letting it the child(ren) respect you for your intelligence and insight seems like a better long term strategy.

Last edited by Skunks; 02-06-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote