Thread: Drones
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #100
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
They haven't released a price but with a carbon fiber body, fancy carrying case, and sophisticated electronics, I'll bet it's spendy. Why spend all that money to know down a drone? Oh that's right, you don't have shotguns.
We do actually. They've been blasting away at Wood Pigeons in the fields across the road these past two days.

I'm not well versed in the finer points of firearms laws in the UK, but there is plenty of information here:

Firearm and shotgun certificates in England and Wales financial year ending March 2014

A quote from the above site might be of interest.

Quote:
There were 582,923 shotgun certificates on issue as at 31 March 2014, an increase of 2.1% from the 570,726 on issue at the end of March 2013.
Despite that statistic, you have to demonstrate a justifiable need to buy a shotgun or other arms.
Farmers, clay pigeon shooters and game shooters will be the usual categories but there are strict police checks made before a shotgun certificate is issued.
That's the legal side of it, but how many guns are in circulation amongst those sections of society who have a more flexible approach to the law?

Broadly speaking though Bruce, you're right. We don't have millions of ordinary people, if I can use that phrase, with a rifle resting in the corner of the kitchen or a Saturday night special in the glove box.
For all practical purposes we don't have a gun culture and I suspect most people have never handled, or even seen, a firearm of any description.
That statement might not hold true in the more dodgy pubs in certain parts of London or any of the major cities of the UK.