View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #2039
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I see what you're saying Pooka. This is something I've struggled with: I always thought that we can't imagine the circumstances some people grow up in. We hear stories of the kid who grew up in an inner-city slum, who is now CEO of a company or something. Sure, the potential for bettering oneself exists, but who shows someone that? The kid who is now successful surely had some influence in his life who told him "you don't have to live this way...you can make it." Also, not everyone is exactly equal in intelligence.

However, as I've grown older I've had to try very hard (and I am not always successful) not to get jaded by the crap I see every single working day. It's easy for me to think 'oh come ON...quit playing games and get serious about your life' because I see the people who play the system. I also see those who are helped by the system.

Do I think higher income people should foot bills for lower income people? Not for most things, or in all circumstances. But, because there ARE circumstances people cannot help or change, and because I do believe that as a society we have a responsibility to help those who can't help themselves, I think we do have certain responsibilities as a civilized society. Unfortunately the sneakies and the lazies ride that train too.

I think society does have a responsibility, in at least two critical areas: health care, and education.

But believe me, I struggle with this sometimes...no more so than when I was working hard and struggling to make ends meet myself.