View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #846
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Hi SG - I suppose I'm a selective Stephen King fan - loved 'The Stand' and have read a couple of others by him (titles are in the loft/attic as I write, sorry). For SciFi, though, I like surreal Mr Robert Rankin - but there's no way he is anything like Stephen King - Rankin's an acquired taste - more of the 'if you like Marmite, then maybe' ilk....

Currently reading my fifth Mark Billingham - crime novelist - stories are usually based in London. I never read crime novels so he can't be that bad - latest is called 'Lifeless' and is set in the world of the homeless and rough sleepers.

Next in line, post Billingham, is/will be 'Londonstani' - written by a young Asian, Gautam Malkani. Written in current Asian youth-speak - looks like being a good read - one for the plane next week. Initial page-flicking felt a bit like when I picked up 'Clockwork Orange' all those years ago, before it was well known, and read the first page. Iain E Banks 'Feersom Engin' is another in that mode that springs to mind.

Bought Lifeless and Londonstani as two of a 'buy two, get one free' offer at W H Smith. The freebie is a Rankin 'The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse'..... (well I did say he was surreal). It's set in Toy City (used to be Toy Town, but it grew bigger), and the hero's a private eye, named Eddie Bear (I think you're getting the picture) - I'll let you know in due course....