View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #313
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
Beautifully done, but without a translation it is useless to me.
I think the point of it, Visual Music is the rhythm of the movement and the beauty therein. Compare it listening to music without words. Are the Brandenburg Concertos useless?

Having the words leads one to get caught up in the meaning and miss the message. Ever have the experience of listening to someone speak a foreign language where you didn't know what was being said but you could tell the person was angry or happy or in love? You are picking up on other cues and using your mind in a different way to interpret what is being expressed.

Similar to not speaking a language but relying on other cues such as facial expressions, body language, pitch, intonation, etc. to understand what is being said, imagine someone who lacked a particular sense, in this case hearing. How would you convey the experience of listening to music to someone who couldn't hear? You'd need to express rhythm, melody, tempo, crescendoes, diminuendoes, and so on some other way. Here, he is using his body to sign with certain emotional expression. Compare the difference between a computer generated voice reading a passage and an impassioned speaker reading the same passage. The words are identical but the meaning changes. You even hear this in songs covered by different people. Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower is a completely different song from Dylan's, as is Santana's She's Not There from the Zombies'.

I once heard an expression, "Dark to the mind, but radiant to the heart" I think that is a good clue to deciphering the meaning of this video.