View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #45
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
... I'm old for IT. ...
When you turned 50, you became old for everything. After Obamacare went into effect, mandating that health insurance cover preexisting conditions, employer recourse was in not hiring older people to minimize the possibility of insurance claims that would significantly raise their corporate insurance premiums.

Insurance that enables those with preexisting conditions to survive is a great thing; but, it comes at a price for those over 50 who aren't making enough (where you're making six figures) for businesses to offset the risk of increased insurance expenses that would trickle down to all their employees as higher premiums; or, lesser coverage.

Look for jobs at large corporations which are in a better position to accept that risk and absorb an increase in insurance costs. They're more flexible with hiring age. Look for jobs at other places that don't include benefits where you can negotiate wages that will make buying your own insurance affordable. Go to all interviews looking healthy with vitality; otherwise, at your age you might as well show up with a lit cigarette in hand.

Best wishes on finding a good full time benefited position. In the meantime, if I come across any young rich bitches looking for a father figure, I'll drop your name.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote