View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 01:17 AM   #134
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well for one thing, I don't think my relationship with my children will ever be the same as it is with their peer group. It definitely isn't now, so why would it be at any other age?

Peer groups and parents give people different things. If a child is raised well, there's no reason for one relationship to suffer because of the other. There is room for both to co-exist and in some cases, to nourish each other. At the moment, this is what we have in our household. I plan on doing everything possible to make sure it stays that way.

I expect them to become independant, and I see them letting go of their dependance on me more and more every day. It doesn't make me sad. It makes me proud that I've raised children who're showing that they can be responsible and trustworthy even though they're still young. Why should I not expect things to continue in the same way? Why should I expect my kids to all of a sudden become secretive and deceptive? As a parent, it's my responsibility to make sure they feel safe and accepted enough to know that they can be honest with me and not be judged for it.

My mother was my best friend.