Thread: Random Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #185
glatt

Driverless cars don't freak me out too much, what get's my interest is that this is just a software update. The car was already built with the relays and servos and crap to turn the steering wheel and engage the brakes. Has steering been done by wire on many cars for a while now, and I just haven't been paying attention because I drive an old car?

Actually that doesn't matter. I'm getting away from my point, which is that this was just a remote software update. If the manufacturer can do a remote software update that takes control of driving the car away from the owner in a car that is currently on the road, then can't hackers also do remote software updates that take control of the car? The manufacturer is using the power for good, but hackers can use the power for anything they want. And this isn't a hypothetical car of the future. It's on the road right now.

I ain't skeert.

From Tesla:
Quote:
Software updates

Model S Manual
Model S Quick Start Guide

Model S regularly receives over-the-air software updates that add new features and functionality. When an update is available, you’ll be notified on the center display with an option to install immediately, or schedule the installation for a later time. The average software update takes 45 minutes to complete. Connect your Model S to your home’s Wi-Fi network for the fastest possible download time.

The current Model S software version is 6.1 and includes traffic-aware cruise control, camera-enabled automatic high/low beam headlights, forward collision warning, smart cabin preconditioning, energy prediction for trips, and an enhanced park assist view with reverse camera guides. Download the release notes for details.

Last edited by glatt; 03-23-2015 at 07:44 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote