View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #69
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yah eBay won't take daughters, you gotta go to Craigslist for that.

Turns out it's only the older mags in excellent condition that are worth anything, and even then, it's not an antiques roadshow lottery winnings kind of deal.

To give you an idea, there was a lot of 3, 1953 #3 #6 #8 that went for $187. But it falls right off the cliff, in condition and era: a set of 12 from 1955-1960, in average to poor condition, went for $40.

It appears collectors want individual issues, and it's ALL ABOUT THE GRADE.

Individual 1955-57 goes from $20-$50 depending on grade. 58 and on, the floor price for an individual issue goes all the way down to $3. By 1959 the average price is $15 with shipping.

It takes me a good 15 minutes per listing to scan/photograph, write it up, and list, and I like to get $15/hour. If I take a percentage and they sell for an average of $5, it wouldn't be worth it to either of us!

So!

What I would do is go to the eBay guide page on comics, read the grading scale from mint to poor, and then evaluate only the early editions 1954-1959 for grade. I would not go Buy-it-Now on these, I would set a reserve at an estimated value minus $5-10 and see where it goes.

If you do that and let me know what the grades are, I'll come up with a plan for how I can eBay them for you and get reasonable value for both you and me. Howzat?

We can do this on my eBay account if I'm in charge of shipping. I have a 100% eBay rating for about 170 items. Also, actual scans of the magazines is best for this kind of thing. I have a good, but slow scanner...

The only Mad that gets antiques roadshow levels is #1, 1952. If you have that one, you should get it encased in plastic straightaway. One in Very Fine grade got nearly $1000.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote