Thread: Post Your Pet
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #2884
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

They are rarely active in the full daylight, and I won't use a flash because of their sensitive eyes. But they're better value than truly nocturnal creatures - if I happen to disturb then they'll wake up right fine for a sniff of a mealworm or a raisin!

Duncan is probably more reliant on me as I had him first and couldn't put the two together immediately as Otis was younger (smaller) and a veritable Houdini.

They have proper balanced rat food (and gnawing blocks for their teeth), but I do feed them treats of fresh fruit and veg, esp small amounts of babyfood. I love the little organic pouches which I can reseal and refrigerate. Pureed pears tonight.

The most fun is a few tinned peas in a large water dish (they always have a big dish of fresh water as well as a water bottle) which they fish out with their little ratty hands. Although Duncan will sit him-whole-self in the bowl to get the last, probably sitting on what he's trying to find!

I wish they didn't like the banana/ porridge so much. It smells of... bananas. But it was on sale and they loved it, so I still get it now and then. Trouble is, they want to pick it up, not lap at it, so the morning after I have to take the whole shelf out to spray it down. No kinder of mine, then.