View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #22
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
Sorry Bri I should have said more than one word.. in my opinion, a "real" Christian should be focused on helping other people in all walks of life. Jesus's whole ministry was healing and teaching about love and forgiveness. To me, Catholics have become way too caught up in the religion of Christianity, the cermonies and rituals, etc., and kind of lose the whole message Jesus was giving.
Thank you for the hate. I'd like to personally apologize to you for all the Catholic charities, hospitals, and schools around world. I'm not a big fan of ostentation either whether its found in cathedrals, megachurches, or on someones back or wrist, so I won't defend that. I go to a small, plain, country Catholic church in a gold-free environment (inside secret most of the shiney stuff is just base metals). The Catholic Church had a major upheaval two of your life-times ago addressing many of your complaints, sorry you missed it. There is still a see-saw effect going on as parish communities try to figure out what are respectful trappings for His house. Much of what we base that on is aesthetics and familiarity. I was raised in the post-Vatican II Church so I prefer the simple. I'm tending to this mote in my eye.

Sometimes what we find phoney is what we don't know or understand. That is Panglosses reaction to the Times pictures or honestly my reaction to my first exposure to White Southern Baptist preaching. The teens in that picture are looking for someting bigger than themselves and something better than American pop culture. From experience, (we Catholics have our charismatics as well) some of them will burn out pretty quick lacking a serious grounding in the church but some will form a lasting bond and may even change their lives.