Thread: US hegemony.
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 05:26 PM   #13
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
Do you know what Josef Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" is about?
You have stirred pains of a research paper long past.....

I guess I'll be the first one to speak up against a war with Iraq. So far (in this whole escapade), Iraq has exhibited no outward aggressions towards any other country. Sure, a few weapons infractions here and there, but who said that predominantly Muslim countries cannot posses nuclear weapons? My take on the war is like this:

-Daddy started it, Dubs is gonna finish it. Time to make Daddy proud.
-We need the oil. After all, with tax breaks for SUV owners, gas consumption is going to do nothing but go up.
-Politicians have let their egos get in the way. For a long time they've always counted Iraq as 'evil.' Now they're being forced to act on meaningless charges.
-The US has always waited to react before resorting to violence (Vietnam, I know, the exception). But now, we are going after someone preemptively. We're not waiting around for something to happen, we're gonna fix it before it explodes in our face.

I dunno, the whole idea of hitting someone before they hit you sounds like provocation. I do have to admit though, the more I read what others are saying, the more I buy into it.