View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #228
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

A school in my ward is facing closure. It is almost certain that it and another school will be replaced by an academy. I have such grave misgivings about an academy for this community. The high levels of permanent exclusions, the reluctance to deal with Special Educational Needs...I'm not even going to talk about my political objections, these are are serious, operational concerns. I fear, and I hope I'm wrong, that the same children whom we have failed to reach with the comprehensive school are the ones who won't be admitted to, or retained within their local academy. I'm told there are safeguards, and that we will have input as a Local Authority into the management and ethos of the school, especially if we are co-sponsors. But...I am not wholly convinced.

That said....it is an opportunity to get a large investment into education, and a chance to give a fresh start to a deeply troubled school community. Ten years of rescue attempts and super heads. Every newspaper's favourite failing school story. It's hard to see how it can be rescued in its current form. The alternative to Academies, Building Schools for the Future has our area down for new builds in 2011 (at the earliest) and there's another school in a different community whose building is severely dilapidated which will get that first shot. The 'failing' school' (I don't like that tag, it's made improvements, just such an uphill battle) is structurally sound. It could be another 6 or 7 years to get something done in ths community if we don't accept an academy. How can I not embrace £30mil investment and a chance to break this appalling cycle?

At the end of the day, I'm just one voice in a small group within one of the stakeholders. My stance probably won't make a difference either way. But, I have to be able to look my constituents in the eye when I talk to them about this.

Last edited by DanaC; 07-13-2007 at 11:17 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote