Thread: Are you handy?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #53
glatt

The pictures of my project would be much less interesting than BigV's, so I won't be posting any.

Over the weekend, I installed a bathroom vent fan in a small bathroom that had none before.

This meant:

1. Putting a new circuit breaker into an empty slot in the panel, running the romex to the 1st floor bathroom wall where I installed a GFCI receptacle and a switch (had to fish the wire for this part,) then running it back down into the basement and up the open wall where I'll be re-tiling a shower and into the open ceiling above that gutted shower. The fan will be GFCI protected.

2. Pulling out the ladder and cutting a hole in the second story exterior wall for the vent hood. Caulk around the hole, slide the hood in, and screw it tight.

3. Crawling around in the hot very cramped nasty eaves to get the flexible ductwork installed and nice and straight. This was a major pain, as a bunch of loose fill insulation had fallen down into the eaves from the attic and I didn't want to stir it up too much. I got a nasty cramp in one leg while I was all contorted trying to tighten up the clamp holding the duct to the hood.

4. Install the fan between the ceiling joists, connect the ductwork to the fan. This actually took a fair amount of time as I had to shim the joists to account for the new drywall ceiling I'll need to install.

5. Wire up the fan to the romex I installed earlier.

6. Try to act all nonchalant when the damn thing worked on the first test.

7. Clean up.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote