View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 10:46 PM   #13
marichiko

I gotta agree with Cyber. It's the mundane things closer to home which are most to be feared. Thank God, I don't live in a town that has gang activities and very little, if any, violent crime. That leaves (1)car accidents, (2)Walmart, and (3)deer at the top of my realistic fear of personal injury list.

(1)Statisticly speaking, A person is far more likely to get killed or injured in a car accident than by a terrorist.

(2)My local Walmart is a hazardous place where stockers spill all kinds of things and neglect to clean up or post signs. Case in point: Last week the local Walmart was the scene of a massive hazardous icing spill. The stuff was apparently from a 20 gallon container of Sam's best donut glaze. Somehow this stuff got upended all down one grocery aisle, and it blended right in with the shiny linoleum surface of the floor. No one did anything about it or put up any of those "wet floor" signs, and I was rounding the corner of the aisle at a trot, in a hurry to be out of that place (I HATE Walmart) when I skidded into the icing and went down - HARD! I still have the bruise on my hip to remind me of the event, plus the accident report Walmart made me fill out.

(3)Deer are a real terror in my part of the world. After about 3:00 pm the highways belong to them, and they make sure you know it. Round every curve, there they are, sticking out their tongues and waggling their hooves in front of their antlers at you. They especially love to play chicken with motorists when the roads are wet or icey. I think it's their way of paying mankind back for hunting season. Last year one jumped out at me as I was rounding a curve at the suggested speed limit of 50 miles an hour. I hit my brakes, hit the deer which bounded off unfazed, and did a complete 180 on the two lane highway, placing me directly in the path of a speeding coal truck headed for the Tri-States Power Plant coming in the opposite direction. You remember little moments like this, even with a memory as bad as mine.

I might add that in both of the two incidents I cited above, Homeland Security was nowhere to be found.