Thread: Seattle, WA
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #19
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

In-city ideas, part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
What kind of things do you want to see/do? City, country? Indoor, outdoor? Eat, watch, walk, listen, etc??

Um... all of those things? ...
In the city... hmm. A really cool tour is called Underground Seattle. Seattle had a terrible fire over 100 years ago and the rebuilding took place on top of the burned remains (kinda). Much of the old stuff can still be seen at the original grade level on this tour.

Bruce mentioned EMP, the Experience Music Project. I know you said listen was low on your list, but if minimal musical taste overlap is the reason, you can both be satisfied here, I promise. I know it's an awful/wonderful pun but this place ROCKS!!

Adjacent to EMP is the Seattle Center, site of the 1960 World's Fair, and home to the Space Needle. It's a cool but expensive trip to the observation deck. There's also a restaurant that revolves once per hour. Verrrrry swank. You can see forever from up there. Speaking of seeing, you know, Seattle (and this local area) is the only place in the country where you can stand in one spot and see three different National Parks! The Cascades National Park to the east, the Olympic National Park to the West and Mt Ranier National Park to the south. We have an embarassment of riches when it comes to natural beauty.

There's a ton of stuff to do at the Center, IMAX, fountain, bite of seattle, pacific science center, planetarium, laser light show, seattle supersonics, opera house, thunderbirds, squaredancing, Butterfly exhibit and the Monorail to name a few. (Hey, sorry, I was gonna try to give you links to alllll the above, but you're smart, just check out the seattle center link. You can get the info there, and beaucoup more)

Ride the monorail and ride the waterfront streetcar. The streetcars were imported from Australia(!) The Seattle Aquarium and the Woodland Park Zoo are family favorites. We have annual memberships to both.

Sports? Tbirds are the junior hockey league team, the SuperSonics are first in the West for the NBA, the Seahawks play in the winter and the Mariners, my favorite, play in the spring and summer.

Take a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. You can walk on too. The views of the city on the eastbound trip are killer in the low angle light of the afternoon.