View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #64
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Then whatever you do here is meaningless. Be Mother Theresa or be a war criminal (I didn't say Nazi!!) what on earth could possibly be the difference? Why be 'good'? Why not a free for all? What the fuck could possibly be the point of being here at all if not to try to make some tiny, good difference? if there's no purpose-----hell, hold up that quicky mart you've got your eye on.

I'm coming back to this, because you have set out one of the most fundamental points of disagreement between most atheists and most people of faith.

What I do here has whatever meaning I or others place on my actions. I am a human being who has empathy and the ability to future pace my actions and their likely consequences. Why be 'good'? Because it makes for a more pleasant world and a more pleasant life if people are generally good and kind. Because my monkey brain appreciates social order and reciprocity. Because it matters at some indefinable way how we leave the world for future generations and it matters in more definable ways how we shape the world right now.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote