Thread: Awesome People
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #114
Snakeadelic
Banned

I nominate:

http://www.davidbrin.com/about.html

He holds multiple degrees in fields that make my brain shut down just trying to figure out what he studied. He writes the only hard sci fi (technology-oriented for the non-sf crowds) that said brain o mine will wrap itself around. I got to meet him at a sci fi convention many years ago, and it went like this:

I find out Dr. Brin is a Guest of Honor and will be doing a book signing table with Greg Bear and Gregory Benford. Con policy is no more than 3 books per author per table. By the time I get there, I'm all of like 7th in line! Everyone around me has nine hardbacks apiece, three by each author, clearly bought at nearby book dealer booths.

I have one ratty, busted-spined paperback.

They all look at me weird when I make it to the table. I pull my badge out of its holder and hand it to Mr. Bear and then Mr. Benford, asking them to sign the back. Then I hold the book out to Dr. Brin and tell him the truth:

"This is my favorite hard sci fi novel ever. I've read this copy five times and it's my third because people keep stealing it." He writes a super-sweet note on the first page while we chat about why I'm at the convention--was hoping to snag an unclaimed art show table for my work, but none came up available.

Forward to later that day, and as a guest of the convention there to teach panels, I have access to the greenroom and have my miniature polymer clay animal sculptures stowed under a table. In walks Dr. Brin. I grab him for a quick second and show him my favorite of the critters I had at the time, an Arabian horse glued to a thin slab of what I now know was Montana agate. It's 1 inch tall at the ears, slab included, and he holds it up with the very tips of his fingers to get a better look. He says: "Wow, this is amazing! Do you make the molds for these?"

The correct answer turned out to be: "Ummmm, no, Dr. Brin, I don't have any mold-making supplies or experience."

He gives me a moment of HUGE eyes and says: "You do this by hand???"

All the degrees he worked for, all the awards his writing has won, and still the most tear-inducing, heart-stuttering compliment my work ever got.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote