View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #2101
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I certainly don't think the sky is falling but I sure don't want my health care mandated. Offered yes but mandated and fined if you don't is unconstitutional. That isn't a fear mentality that is just a fact.
Where in the constitution does it say the gov't can't mandate health insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I can choose not to buy a car. I can choose not to renew my insurance. There would be consequences but I am not fined by the federal government either way.
A person can choose those things, therefore choosing the monetary responsibility/liability. A person can't (usually) choose a major health crisis that costs money well beyond their means, and they can't guarantee to avoid them in anyway except by dying (quickly.) Therefore, if a person has such a crisis without proper insurance, then the cost is passed onto the rest of us. This is the same concept as mandating auto-insurance, making it law that people buy the insurance, helps the cost from being passed onto others when there is an accident. If a person has a major health crisis and doesn't have the money/insurance for the medical bills, then the gov't tax they've paid helped keep the costs from being passed on to others.
I don't think this legislation is perfect by far, but its a start as to what we need.