Thread: made up words
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 AM   #34
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oo, making words up! Fun fun fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
I feel that way about people saying "anywayS." There are many co-workers and educators and higher-ups who simply should know better.
Solecisms are bad; it's that simple.

Something the pointyheaded Bush Bashers don't mention is that roughly a third of Congress, House and Senate, say "nucular." "Misunderestimated," however, is probably in the national lexicon to stay for at least a decade and maybe permanently: it concisely nails a certain kind of error, and does it while being amusingly, rather than gratingly, country.

Learned coinings aren't so bad: the anywaysers and the irregardless-gushers suffer from being hemipygian. While I'm trying to promote the word, I'm not so enthusiastic about any related words such as a noun like hemipygine, meaning a hemipygian person. It's too ambiguously spelt.

Axing a question fills me with an urge to gesture.

The US military spokesmen's inability to pronounce "cache" correctly makes me sigh. Were there NO military men in Iraq and Afghanistan who hailed from places with French placenames like Cache la Poudre, near Fort Collins, Colorado? It rhymes with "cash," guys.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 08-09-2006 at 04:26 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote