View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM   #98
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

That quote was preceded by:

Quote:
… But let’s get real here. If we’re really honest with ourselves, we all have a little self-loathing going on from time to time. OK, maybe a lot of self-loathing going on, depending on the degree of trauma you’ve sustained, and how many episodes of Teletubbies you were subjected to as a child. ...
It was followed by:

Quote:
… There’s nothing inherently “wrong” with you because you intensely dislike or feel ashamed of certain unsavory aspects of yourself. Everyone does. Even Oprah has to hate herself some of the time, I’m pretty sure. And I’m no exception either, of course. After all, I’m writing a listicle for a website — I must hate some deep, dark corner of myself. …
The meaning of the word hatred, in context, runs the gamut from a strong dislike of something to the worst possible feeling. It's not just a I don't deserve to live hatred. It doesn't have to be a continuous state. It can be temporary and have occurred at anytime during one's life.

The inherent ability to judge oneself, even harshly, is important to our adaptability between evolutionary changes. It's not all just built-in though. There are external influences that modify our views for better; or, for worse.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote