View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #246
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Nothin' good looking on the 'Net, or will that be the backup plan?

I like a meatloaf and haven't made any in simply decades.

I went looking for Heloise's Meatloaf. So far I've found this:

Quote:
Dear Heloise: I have one more add-in for meatloaf. It's sugar-coated flakes of breakfast cereal. It might sound strange, but the sugar takes the edge off the ketchup that I also use. Family and friends request my meatloaf all the time. Try it — it's fabulous. This was my mom's secret ingredient. — Kathy P. Keyes, Hot Springs, Va.

Sounds interesting. I've heard of just flaked corn cereal as an ingredient, but not the one with the sugar. Here's another meatloaf hint, from Carol Haufler of San Antonio. She says: "My aunt had a cafe during the Second World War, when meat was rationed. She stretched the ground meat for hamburgers or meatloaf by adding white cornmeal. I add yellow cornmeal to my meatloaf today." — Heloise
And this:

Quote:
Meatloaf

January 12, 2009 by angie Schilling
Filed under Healthy Recipes

I have to be in the mood to make meatloaf, but when I am in the mood it turns out fabulous. Here is a great recipe that I use and it turns out great all the time.
Take one pound of lean ground beef and mix it with one egg, two squirts of ketschup, and about 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Mix it well and season with salt and pepper. Add as many onions as you please, then press into a greased glass loaf pan.
Combine 3/4 cup ketschup with two tablespoons of brown sugar. Spread this on top of the meatloaf and then bake for one hour at 375 degrees. Let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting it.
I find this meatloaf is wonderful served with mashed potatoes and homemade rolls. It really hits the spot after having a long day at work and your whole family will enjoy it.
And I guess it will take fairly serious Googling to find the Heloise meatloaf actually on the 'net, instead of some incidentals gleaned from Heloise columns.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 01-15-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote