Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #21
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
If I order an expensive piece of kit off the internet and when it arrives it is a pile of shit, I can send it back and get a refund.

For a lot of people who voted to leave they have just received a steaming turd through the post instead of their spanking new piece of democratic freedom.

The first referendum we voted on whether we wanted to leave europe - it was a fairly amorphous proposition and barely anybody knew what that would actually mean. We voted on principle. Now I think we should get the chances to vote on details and facts...

This, basically. With the Scottish independence referendum the pro-independence lobby were instructed to produce a detailed document explaining the options for handling currency issues, international relations, defence, taxation and public spending etc. Etc. Whether you agreed or not, the information was there (here actually, all 670 pages of it: https://www2.gov.scot/resource/0043/00439021.pdf) to weigh up.
When I got the voting card for the Brexit referendum I was dumbfounded. Where was all that information that the promoters of change had to produce? All there was to go on was a slogan on the side of a bus. Fucking ridiculous. So at the very least a referendum on an **informed choice** should be granted us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk