View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #6610
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, I went through that shit with the IRS. I'd cashed in one of my pensions, it wasn't very big but they withheld $300 in tax. But when I filed my taxes the IRS couldn't find any record of that $300. I didn't want to argue because that would have triggered an audit so I just paid the $300.

Three years later they sent me a letter saying they found the $300, and sign one of the four enclosed forms and we'll send you a check. The first form said I'm sorry I fucked up but I'm cool now. The other three forms were similar but they all said it was my fault. I refused to sign any of they because it definitely wasn't my fault. I'd give them $300 to make them go away, but I would not take the blame for their malfeasance. That's the way I roll.

They sent me a check anyway but when I opened it the damn thing was for over $400. I thought if I cash this damn thing they're going to nail my hide to a wall. But when I investigated it was interest of a little over $100 on $300 for three years. Interest rates were sky high at the time, I saw mortgages of 16 and 18%. Ouch