View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #73
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'll PM you, Merc. Thanks for the generous offer.

I became interested in Mormonism thanks to an (intelligent and non-judgemental) article in one of our broadsheets.* It was a factual piece about Mormon suicides in Europe, and how young Americans - young men in this case - were sent to protelyse in Europe.
They had no experience outside of their own religion, being home-schooled or faith schooled.
They also came from the USA where the Christian faith is the norm and is revered, even being a political force.
Coming to England, where there is a state church, and the Queen is head of it, they were unable to deal with widespread and honest atheism, and/ or a reluntant attitude to organised religion.
The MAJORITY of Christians in this country do not complain about not being able to wear crosses (nurses and teachers for example, where health and safety is an issue), not being able to say "God bless" when working etc.
On the flip side there are public displays of religion paid for by the state.
And not only the state religion, in one part of the UK or another there pretty much every faith is represented.

So the poor teens/ early twenties sent over here are baffled. Succumb to some temptations. Question both the precepts of The Land of the Free and their own religious world view. And some of them think it's best to meet their maker while they still can with a clean sheet. Literally.

* the words and slant are all mine, and probably not unbiased