View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:16 AM   #77
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisible
And who would be more knowledgeable about, and more outraged by the passage of such a law than the Jewish representative on the Iranian parliament, Maurice Motamed?
Well,

I bet being leader of the Jewish caucus in the Iranian parliment is an interesting job, now that Iran's on recent record for "wiping Israel off the map". I wouldn't expect a member of the Iranian parliment to publically support a negative article by an expat who's been editor of the big newspaper in town under the previous regime. I understand the Vichy government expressed a high opinion of the Nazis, too.

The article points out that the law had passed, and that the official clothing rules would be codified (with comfortable deniability in the event of a ruckus like what actually ensued) in the "consensus" of the aformentioned committee. He then descibes what he'd found out about the likely content of the "consensus".

The Canadian paper withdrew their publishing of the article, including the headline and wrapup comment/teaser that they wrote.

Should the White House listen to input from ex-pat editor of a major Iranian national newspaper on matters of Middle East policy? Yes, I think they should. Should they consider the motivations of people they listen to when evaluating what they say? Absolutely.

Would Molly Ivans meet your "worthiness" test for a White House meeting? By your standards for "lying"?

How about Arafat?

Last edited by MaggieL; 06-09-2006 at 01:59 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote