View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
It's more that I'm familiar with the elections map - note the rings of white flight republicans surrounding southern democratic cities - along with remembering an article I can't find about how the blue curve that runs along the fertile strip of the south - from Mississippi (rich Delta soil) across Alabama and Georgia up into the Carolinas - makes millions-of-years-old dead plankton relevant in American politics (by making that stretch of formerly-submerged land particularly fertile, meaning they became predominantly black in the age of slavery and retain large african-american populations today), and I notice the same trend of predominantly african-american areas having more food deserts than whiter areas.
edit to add: so obviously I'm speaking in a political science mindset, not mathematical correlation. Just "eyeballing" it as it were.
So which maps are you eyeballing? The food desert maps I see here look like random splotches, whereas the last map (I assume the election map) has the type of clear features you are describing.

For instance, which food maps show the "rings of white flight republicans surrounding southern democratic cities" or the "predominantly african-american areas"? I'm having trouble seeing this. By looking at the zoomed-in cities, it appears that the food deserts are in rural, or outlying areas. I can understand that, because where I live it takes 30 minutes to drive to a grocery store.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote