Thread: Sprinquistion
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And there's side one, done.

One of the things about great art is how it can be different every time, for you; you can notice little things you didn't notice before. It can be little or big. In a film, it can be little details they threw in that you never noticed. Or it can be the whole moral structure of the film.

This time I noticed the little. I always noticed that "Ballet For a Rainy Day" sounds like a rainy day. This is partly Rundgren's producing, at work. but how?! how does he do that? A lot of it is reverb; he strategically *drenches* the song in different kinds of echo.

And with cymbals. Big cymbal crashes have been thought of as "lightning" forever, but that's too obvious. Rundgren uses light tings on the ride cymbal, and reverbs them, so they feel like a shimmering puddle. (Use your imagination!)

And then, from 1:38 to 1:41, there are three CRASH cymbals that are recorded way down in the mix, and then reverbed out. These are on the beat, and today I heard them for the first time, suddenly it's obvious, loud and clear, as splashes in a puddle.

He has little tricks like this, all over the track. It's amazing!!

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote