View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #92
rkzenrage

I really don't have feelings about the smoking issue, it does not inhibit me one way or the other as far as being able to shop or eat (I don't smoke in my home or when I eat anyway. I only smoke a pipe or cigar a few times a week and prefer to have my environments smoke free unless it is a bar or smoke shop. The only emotion I have attached to that is that the assault on freedom worries me and makes me defensive... it leads to other things.
I do not see making places open for people who are in wheelchairs (the ibot is a red herring and off-topic, it is not available to 99.999% of those whom are disabled who can afford it and is not covered by any insurance company) is not giving those people a choice to choose to shop there or not.
How does it make me feel, frustrated and marginalized.
Read anything by anyone who lived before Jim Crow laws were removed and the culture of that mind-set changed and that is exactly how it makes me feel.
Once in the store I don't care if all the isles/tables/etc, are chair width apart if they are accommodating.
But, even in accessible stores it is not unusual to be treated like a nuisance before anyone even talks to you, or worse like a child (people will often give people in chairs candy or pat us on the head and talk to us like children then not give us the same service they give any other adult).
How would it make you feel to be told "we don't have time to help you (your kind) you are going to have to go somewhere else" because they choose to exclude you?
It is humiliating and frustrating because there is NO reason for it and NO excuse for it.
Again I don't want to hear the bullshit about subliminal fears of contagion or being faced with one's own mortality because that is a cop-out and bull-shit.

When I was vegan for a long time I developed a bad reaction to animal protean, though it was not deadly it was very sensitive.
I was often lied to about the contents of soup and bread... it is difficult and for those this kind of thing is deadly for (I became vegan because my wife did develop a deadly allergy to animal protean because of pituitary tumor) the guidelines need to be far more stringent.
But, I don't think peanuts need to be banned from public.