View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #73
chrisinhouston
Professor

I've done real well selling on Ebay over the years but when I started I had some bad experiences. I sold some big items from my studio, big light stands and a huge boom light and I way underestimated the shipping and took a bath on those items. I find it best to try to take good pictures (not a problem for me as I shot tons of catalogs in my past life) and have good descriptions. Last month I sold the last of my darkroom gear, some of which was pretty thrashed. I also had a Canon lens which was in great shape and with camera stuff I always save the boxes and paperwork. I ended up making about $1500 and turned around and bought another lens; a Tamron 24-70mm with IS (which Canon's version does not have). Loving the lens!

I've mostly bought guns and camera gear from pawn shops and only once sold to a shop. Actually I guess I took a loan out against the item as I could get more for it. It was my first 10 gauge shot gun, a Spanish side by side that I shot many many geese with. It was getting barrel bulge down at the end of the barrel from shooting steel shot which it was not designed to do and is rather dangerous as the barrel can eventually explode. I got $350 for it, the pawn shop never checked the barrel or saw the bulge. I took the money and went and bought an Ithica 10 gauge automatic shotgun, quite possibly the best gun ever made for goose hunting. Big and heavy but absorbs all the kick.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote