Thread: Tolerance
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #142
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Incidentally, whilst we're talking about buttons. I had a friend many years ago, back in Bolton, who went through a sex change. When I met her, she was going through the mandatory two years of living as her chosen sex. Going for a drink with her was an education. Shocking levels of outright hostility.

Currently I have a friend who is partway through her change of gender. She has been trying to get onto a PhD course for the last two years. They seem interested until they meet her. Now, that could be because she can be a little full-on...but that is the sort of thing that will put off that or this admissions tutor...I wouldn't have expected it to carry across five or six institutions.

When I was around 15, my elder cousin had the ever loving shit kicked out of him for being gay. I remember very clearly the shape of his face for several weeks afterwards.

I also, as Sundae alluded to, have had my share of contact with the wonderful world of mental distress. Aside from my own forays into treatment, I have friends and family members who've been through that mill, some very dark indeed. And as someone who taught, though briefly, learning disabled adults, I find my hackles rising when someone is targeted or dismissed for a lack of intelligence or formal education.

Everything happens on a scale.

Nothing about JB's mental health or intelligence means he wouldn't get Polari. His politics and his religion might. So you stood from your greater height of intelligence and education and looked down on the guy who wifully refuses education in favour of religious salves. When I hear you say that schizophrenics are worthless and wouldn't be allowed to live in your preferred world order, I'll deem you to be on the same turf.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote