View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Komen Foundation and Planned Parenthood

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...renthood-flap/

What do you think of The Komen Foundation's Decision to withdraw funding from Planned parenthood?

In a nutshell, as I understand it, The Susan G Komen foundation used to grant funds to Planned Parenthood who -in addition to their "planning parenthood" activities- offer breast screening and health examinatins to lower income young women. Many conservative/right thinkers have issues with Planned Parenthood from an anti-abortion and even anti-contraception POV

SGK say the grants were withdrawn because they have implemented stricter policies about granting money to organizations who are under investigation of any kind (as PP is), but the liberal/left/cynics say this is a just a smoke screened way to bow into pressure for the right and is all about anti-abortion politics.

What do you think? Does it affect you in anyway -are you a supporter of either organization and does this change how/who you will support in the future?

I didn't realize PP offered services outside of family planning. I also thought Komen was all about research into a cure rather than detection. But I guess that is part of finding a cure?

I don't support either of these particular organizations financially, so I guess I haven't really thought about either of them very closely before. But I am inclined to entertain the cynical view more favorably than SGK's official "stronger performance criteria for our grantees" line.