View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

The new ethical controversy?

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/...nclick_check=1

Quote:
At his kitchen table, John Ginther flips through photos of his son, Bobby.

Here is Bobby at a wedding, he says. Here's Bobby at a walk-a-thon, Bobby in a water park, Bobby with his sister.

The pictures show a boy with Down syndrome, doing things every 10-year-old boy does. It pains Ginther to think of a future without more children like Bobby - a future without Down syndrome.

"Look at these pictures, and tell me it's a bad thing," says Ginther defiantly. "It is not a disease. It should not be eliminated."

With those soft-spoken words, Ginther thrust himself into the medical debate of the future.

Thanks to advances in genetic testing and prenatal screening, science is winning the war against ailments that have plagued mankind for centuries.

But mankind may not want the victories.
I have thought about this before as a huge ethical problem if I ever decide to have children and I'm sure many of you guys having children or planning on it have thought about this as well. Not an issue I really like discussing but it is important for every parent to think about so here we go...

Just like abortion, this deals with the idea of choice and life but in a different flavor. How ethical is it to be able to screen for disabilities like Down Syndrome and parent's reactions to them?
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote