View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #568
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I photograph food for you especially Sundae! Starting top left and going clockwise, the big square thing is a packet of lavash (a very thin flat bread common in Central Asia and the Caucasus). The stick next to it is a packet of dried melon, this is made of plaited strips of dried fruit and is very nice. The round jar top right is red caviare, strictly speaking lumpfish roe, which I prefer to the more expensive black varieties. The other round thing is a pot of honey. The herbs are dill and coriander, popular throughout the CIS and frequently referred to as simply "greens". These herbs are eaten by the fistful, rather than in tiny amounts of chopped up sprinkled leaves. Bottom left is a selection of dried fruit and nuts. Clockwise in that from top right are sugar coated pistachios, white raisins, cracked and roasted apricot kernels, black raisins, walnuts and pistachios in their shells, with a row of dried apricot across the middle. This little haul cost me about £17, of which £10 was the caviare.