View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #24
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
... As far as I am aware, neuronal activity is still considered to operate at the macro level of physics. I haven't heard of any evidence of quantum mechanics being involved.
Not directly. Indirectly, via quantum theory, they're working on it...

NOTE: Even the subtopic below, from the article on Quantum Cognition is too long to reproduce in its entirety here; so, I took a little from the beginning and from the end. END NOTE.

Quote:
Quantum-like models of information processing ("quantum-like brain")

The brain is definitely a macroscopic physical system operating on the scales (of time, space, temperature) which differ crucially from the corresponding quantum scales. (The macroscopic quantum physical phenomena such as e.g. the Bose-Einstein condensate are also characterized by the special conditions which are definitely not fulfilled in the brain.) In particular, the brain is simply too hot to be able perform the real quantum information processing, i.e., to use the quantum carriers of information such as photons, ions, electrons. As is commonly accepted in brain science, the basic unit of information processing is a neuron. ...

... Quantum mechanics is fundamentally contextual.[15] Quantum systems do not have objective properties which can be defined independently of measurement context. (As was pointed by N. Bohr, the whole experimental arrangement must be taken into account.) Contextuality implies existence of incompatible mental variables, violation of the classical law of total probability and (constructive and destructive) interference effects. Thus the quantum cognition approach can be considered as an attempt to formalize contextuality of mental processes by using the mathematical apparatus of quantum mechanics.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote