View Single Post
Old 10-24-2001, 08:53 PM   #10
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by juju2112

The lack of forethought in this statement astounds me. Hasn't it ever occurred to you that this statement also applies to Americans?
Here, watch this...

The lack of forethought in YOUR statement astounds me. Hasn't it ever occurred to you that it HAD occurred to me, and I STILL came to that conclusion? That is, by the way, the case. FURTHERMORE, I didn't say a fucking thing about about US BEING BETTER. I simply said what I see, NOT COMPARING IT TO MY SOCIETY IN ANY WAY. So, YOU can FUCK RIGHT OFF, you and your ignorant, assuming nature.

Quote:
A more adequate analogy would be if I punched you in the face and then you bombed McDonald's because I ate there yesterday.
Uhm, no. That would be like if we bombed Pizza Hut because some of the terrorists ate there the night before. Which we didn't. Instead, we have been working hard to collect the evidence of those who collaborated on this. We are then seeking to dismantle their powerbase. When they are protected, we are seeking to dismantle that protection so that we can get to the real problem. The problem, of course, being those that support killing innocent civilians "where ever they are found." <-- Osama bin Laden's words, not mine. I seem to recall us gathering evidence, coming to the logical conclusion that al Qaida had some play in what transpired on September 11, waiting ALMOST A MONTH after the attacks, and THEN, after giving the government that harbors the terrorists A NUMBER OF CHANCES TO HAND OVER KNOWN TERRORIST OPERATIVES AND THEIR LEADERS, striking MILITARY TARGETS so we could send in a TARGETED GROUND CAMPAIGN to capture TERRORISTS while inflicting MINIMAL DAMAGE OTHERWISE.

For the record, I do know this is what we are doing. I work at a large government contractor. The software I write is used by the people that are carrying out these missions. Our contacts with the government, our customer, are close. And we are provided with feedback. So I'm not making this shit up, and I'm not reading it in the news. I'm hearing about how we are doing a good job, because software we have worked on has had a list of successes.

Quote:
The only possible motivation that I could have possibly had is that of a crazed and obsessive terrorist.
I'm glad you brought that to the table, though I didn't mention it. But since you did, I'll respond.

In all the reading I have done, everything indicates that those behind this attack were not crazed - obsessive, obviously. But not crazed. Why you chose that adjective, I don't know. I would speculate it was chosen to make my argument look weak and emotional instead of logical. But that's just speculation. Regardless, their motivation is irrelevant: the road to hell is paved with good intentions. So even if they thought they were saving the US by killing off some 5,400 "crazed" Nazi punks, putting a highly over-valued economy back where it should be and keeping the American public from living a life too good and full of vise, the fact of the matter is that they MURDERED FIVE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED INNOCENT CIVILIANS. Golly gee willickers, Juju - I personally thought this was wrong. But if you have some trouble with the media portraying these people as indecent human beings, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Quote:
Patriotism is evil, because it causes people not to think -- they just blindly support. Like sheep.
Again, since I said NOTHING about it, I'm not sure why you're mentioning it. But I'm glad you did, because it gives me another chance to retort.

You can quote Oscar Wilde all you want, but it doesn't make you an intellect. "Patriotism is a virtue of the viscious." No. Blind patriotism is a virtue of the ignorant and/or inept. Those that follow their government, think they have a great country DESPITE ITS MANY FLAWS and STILL think that maybe the government should uphold its primary function, that being the PROTECTION OF ITS CITIZENS, could very well be considered patriots. If that's the case, then I am one. But calling patriots blind or evil is a statement wholly based on ignorance. From your comments, one could deduce that you never bothered to seek out whether some patriots are informed. You sling around gross generalizations like they're fact. I recall saying they were "generally misinformed" - you made no such concession, instead accusing all that fall under your vast, pre-defined umbrella of being "sheep", based on no tangible or credible evidence. At least I've read what you wrote and responded to that instead of calling you "a fucking cock sucker" for no good reason.

But yeah, sure, no hard feelings.