View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #653
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
your son peed lead before the drug came along and made him pee more of it.
Yes, he peed eight-tenths of a microgram. Normal pee levels are 2-3 micrograms according to Wiki. Take in 2, subtract .8. Tomorrow, take in another 2, subtract .8. This equals long-term buildup.

Quote:
See, the reason the six hour number is more interesting is that most of the stuff is peed out during that time frame. After six hours, you're just peeing pee, ya follow?
Right. This is why they give a reading in µg/gram of creatinine, because it gives a more accurate picture and accounts for dilution.

Quote:
50 times!
That was from the section of the page on Treatment; i.e., for people who had been found to have lead poisoning. It's a statement on how effective the drug is at removing lead from people with lead poisoning.

How come he didn't pee 50 times the normal amount of any other metal? Why would the NIH use urine collection for any of their research studies if it's so completely meaningless?

Quote:
...the next most relevant question is, what are your son's blood lead levels?
I don't know, and I don't care. He didn't eat a lead toy, he's been slowly accumulating for years. It's not in his blood.

Quote:
Blood lead levels are an indicator mainly of recent or current lead exposure, not of total body burden.[106] Lead in bones can be measured noninvasively by X-ray fluorescence; this may be the best measure of cumulative exposure and total body burden.[21] However this method is not widely available and is mainly used for research rather than routine diagnosis.
Quote:
When lead exposure has taken place over a long period, blood lead levels may rise after chelation is stopped because lead is leached into blood from stores in the bone;
You pull what you can from the soft tissues, opening space for more bone stores to leach out. Then you pull again a few weeks later. If one were being really anal, I suspect that one could take the drug, and then do a few blood tests in the minutes and hours immediately following, since by definition that newly-bound lead's going to take a turn around in the bloodstream before getting processed into the urine. But that's a little pointless, because you can test for the presence of that same lead in the urine just a short while later.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote