View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

This has jogged my memory. I recalled an attempt by Ian Botham, former England cricketer, to recreate Hannibal's crossing of the Alps to raise funds for Leukaemia Research.
There's not a great deal online about the project which took place in 1988, but I've found a BBC archive article from 1999.

Quote:
Ian Botham holds a special place in the affections of English cricket.

His reputation for having the guts and ability to withstand hostile attack, with the nation's hopes riding on his efforts, stands alone.

But his gargantuan effort in raising money for leukaemia research over the last 15 years has earned him a respect no amount of centuries could.

Quote:
His walks have taken him all round the British Isles, and famously to the Alps, where he tried to recreate Hannibal's journey with elephants.

The elephants, which had come from a circus, could not keep up with Botham, and were retired from the bid after five miles.

His inspiration for the whole mammoth fund-raising effort was sparked by a visit to a Taunton hospital to receive treatment for an injured foot.

There he met children suffering from the disease.

"They were playing board games and looked pretty lively to me - so I was absolutely stunned when a doctor explained they were unlikely to survive," he said.

"Nothing prepares you for talking to a child who is going to die.

"I felt so helpless, yet I couldn't get these children out of my mind. I really wanted to do something for them.

I've always been a keen walker and, because so much money is needed for research, I knew I could raise a considerable amount by drumming up sponsorship for walks."
Name:  Ian Botham 1.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  6.3 KB Name:  Ian Botham 2.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  9.2 KB Name:  Ian Botham 3.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  11.3 KB

Link

He's raised a huge amount of money for Leukaemia Research over the years and I take my hat off to him.