View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The IotD queue is pretty full right now, and I wasn't expecting to post this, but once I was listening to the real-time rebroadcast, I felt moved to do it.

It struck me a bit more than I expected, because it wasn't a timeline-y replay of the facts. It was a replay of the fear, the confusion, the sickening feeling, the amazement, which is what everybody was going through. Worry in some people's voices, anger in others.

The wandering concerns: are other places going to be hit? The slow burn of bad news as things got worse and worse and worse. The fog of war as a few rumors circulated and were dismissed: did they lose track of two other planes headed for LA? Did a third plane hit tower 1 before it fell? Was there an explosion on Capitol Hill? The common-sense question: what did we do to deserve this level of atrocity?

All that stuff was dredged up in me this morning. I didn't expect it but I realized what it was doing to me when somebody on the show said omigawd look the tower's falling, with a shaky voice, and suddenly I had a tear.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote