View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
SamIam

Yeah, I dont understand why the most recent media reports concerning Boehner's post election statements have headlines like "Boehner Willing to Compromise." Yet when you read beyond the headline or stick around long enough to hear more than a few sound bites, Boehner's rhetoric remains unchanged, and he is still sprouting the same "won't give an inch," tea party inspired demands and threats.

I was bemused to read the following from ABC News under the heading “John Boehner Welcomes Big Deficit Deal, Pledges to Work with President Obama”

Quote:
~snip~"It would be an agreement that begins to pave the way for the long-term growth that is essential if we want to lift the cloud of debt hanging over our country," Boehner said. "It involves making real changes to the financial structure of entitlement programs, and reforming our tax code to curb special-interest loopholes and deductions. By working together and creating a fairer, simpler, cleaner tax code, we can give our country a stronger, healthier economy."

~snip~Boehner said he told the president that the Republican majority in the House "stands ready to work" with him "to do what's best" for the country. Still, the speaker was clear that new revenue must be a "byproduct of a growing economy," and he emphasized that "to garner Republican support for new revenues, the president must be willing to reduce spending and shore up the entitlement programs that are the primary drivers of our debt."
Sure, Boehner will compromise as long as the compromise is all coming from the other side. He still demands tax cuts for the "small businessmen" in the uppermost income brackets and he still insists that Americans with the lowest incomes be the ones on whose backs the budget is balanced. Otherwise the Republican majority in the House "stands ready" to continue to just vote "no" to any and everything. It's "what's best for the country," after all.

If that's Boehner's idea of compromise, I wonder what he does when he is in an actively oppositional mode? Call upon the newly equipped navy to help the Red States to invade the Blue ones?

Last edited by SamIam; 11-07-2012 at 09:14 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote