View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #627
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Pulled pork was yumm-eh!
Dad was watching the footie and I took him in a forkful to taste. He does like that. No more, just a sample.

Afterwards, when we were watching the football together I said I had plenty of leftovers (of course I did!) and they were in the fridge. He said, "Well, now I know what you mean [?!] I'd like some of that. Can I reheat it in the microwave for dinner tomorrow?"

So it might have been the way I described it which put him off the Father/ Daughter experience I was trying to engender... NB he said that after he had had his shop-bought pasta bake. So it wasn't prompted by hunger.

I did not have such a great meal as it turns out.
Hasselback Potatoes should be "seasoned". Not being a big salt eater I declined to douse them in salt n pepper. Instead went for a rarely used container in the cupboard called Season All. But it didn't have a sprinkle top. It had a free-for-all top. My poor potatoes were smothered in the stuff! Well, okay, not smothered, but I did not intend to put so much on.

I also did not know how salty the blend was, or I would not have cooked them for 50 minutes; I'd have binned them there and then and cut some new ones
It was an unpleasant surprise, when everything else was ready to dish up. As I said, I do not generally add salt to anything (hard boiled eggs and chips excepted) so it hit my mouth like a big salty smack up the chops.

Don't get me wrong, they were edible. I polished them off. But they were a disappointment when the texture and the crispness were just right (I made a low cal vesion with oil not butter and no cheese so I wasn't sure).

But the sheer overwhelming flavour of the salt bled into the BBQ pork and made it less of a treat. Which when it was eaten on its own, it was. P'raps the fact I served up the pork in the oven-to-tableware I cooked the potatoes in was partly to blame. WHAT?! I didn't realise I'd salted them to buggery at that point!